Hester Street is seeking a Development Associate to support our fundraising and business development efforts. This is an exciting opportunity for an early-career professional with one to three years of experience in grant writing and/or communications.
ABOUT HESTER STREET
Hester Street (HST) is an urban planning, design and development nonprofit that works to ensure that neighborhoods are shaped by the people who live in them. We offer technical and capacity-building assistance to community-based organizations and government agencies on critical land use, neighborhood planning, and public and private community development projects. Innovative, inclusive community engagement is a critical thread through all of our projects. We work to create vibrant, just, equitable and resilient cities where we all can thrive.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are seeking a full-time Development Associate to support Hester Street’s efforts to identify and secure resources to support our work. The position is a great opportunity for an early career professional who brings excellent writing, creative thinking and fundraising experience to the fight for social justice.
The Associate will support our fundraising efforts among public, private and individual donors. The role requires the ability to manage multiple priorities, deadlines and contributors. Experience in the field of participatory planning, design and community development is a plus, though not required. The Associate will work directly with the development and communications team, as well as design and project staff.
Job responsibilities include the following:
- Write and edit for multiple formats: grant proposals and reports, RFPs, funder emails, website, social media, Hester Street publications and more;
- Manage proposal and report deadlines; coordinate assembly and submissions;
- Work with project staff to develop proposals and reports;
- Support funding research;Support production of fundraising and friendraising events;
- Manage and support growth of Hester Street contact list;
- Monitor media coverage of Hester Street and related projects;
- Manage website posts;
- Support and publicize staff speaking engagements;
- Imagine and implement new fundraising strategies, and other duties as assigned.
We are seeking an excellent writer who works well collaboratively and in a fast-paced environment. Applicants must be highly organized and detail-oriented. Experience working with low-income communities, immigrant and other communities of color and/or community-based organizations is preferred. Top candidates will have:
- 1-3 years of development/fundraising experience
- Excellent writing skills
- Experience writing in various development formats, such as grant proposals, RFPs and funding reports.
- Ability to write for multiple audiences, including current and prospective donors, foundations, and government.
- Experience managing the mechanics of fundraising:
- Experience tracking progress toward development goals.
- Excellent organization skills and proven ability to meet deadlines.
Experience with Salesforce, MailChimp, WordPress and Adobe InDesign, as well as fluency in a language other than English, are big pluses, though not required.
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, Hester Street offers a comprehensive benefits package.
Please upload cover letter, résumé and one writing sample. The position will be open until filled.
Hester Street is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a workforce that reflects the populations with whom we partner. We seek to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences and encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, ability or veteran status.
Hester Street is a 501(c)3, nonprofit organization incorporated as Hester Street Collaborative