Hester Street is seeking an exceptional and experienced design professional to support community-driven planning, design and development projects in New York City, nationwide and internationally. We are seeking someone with at least five years of work experience to join a growing, dynamic, high-performance team that holds social justice as a core value. Help us shape our design strategy and body of work, in order to advance our mission, leverage our unique skills and perspective, and align with our strategic vision.
ABOUT HESTER STREET
Hester Street deploys urban planning, design and development expertise to support community-led change so that cities and neighborhoods are shaped by the people who live in them. We are a mission-driven non-profit and we work closely with community-based organizations, public and private institutions and firms, and government agencies to advance community-driven planning, policymaking and equitable community development. We offer technical and capacity-building assistance on critical land use, neighborhood planning, and public and private community development projects. We focus on low-income communities and communities of color – people and places that historically and systematically have been left out of decision making. Innovative and inclusive community engagement is a critical thread through all of our projects, and we strive to create the conditions where we can all thrive. Our vision is a racially, socially, and economically just, vibrant and resilient world fueled by the values and vision of the many.
ABOUT THE POSITION
We are seeking a design professional with a background in community driven and civically-engaged design. This role requires the ability to manage multiple priorities and aggressive deadlines in a fast-paced environment. This is a great opportunity for a highly motivated individual who welcomes work in a collaborative environment to join a growing, high-energy team.
- Work with Hester Street’s Design & Communications team to ensure that planning and development teams have the support needed to execute project deliverables, either through art direction or direct design support depending on teams’ capacity
- Oversee quality standards of design across projects and organization-wide campaigns
- Create tools to facilitate civic engagement in urban planning and policy. including but not limited to: infographics, presentations, reports and popular education materials
- Create digital and print materials for fundraising and advocacy campaigns
- Effectively prioritize, delegate, execute and track tasks across multiple projects, adhering to rigorous timelines
- Be a thought leader to Hester Street’s executive directors and leadership – including project leads
- Bachelor’s degree in Graphic Design, Communications, or related field
- At least five years of civically-engaged design experience and demonstrated commitment to using design as a tool to advance racial and economic justice
- Strong graphic design skills: ability to organize complex information and create engaging and accessible visual materials
- Strong project management skills: pro-active, deadline-oriented and expert at juggling multiple projects
- Experience working in low-income communities, immigrant and communities of color. Experience working with community-based organizations is strongly preferred
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite
- Fluency in a language other than English is a plus
Top candidates will additionally have a mix of the following skills & experience:
- Basic architectural design: ability to create spatial analyses/diagrams and photo collages
- Experience leading participatory design processes / charrettes
- Animation or video production
- Web design
- User experience design
- Human-centered design
The salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience. In addition, Hester Street offers a very generous and comprehensive benefits package which incudes: 100% employer-paid health insurance; retirement benefits; generous paid time off – holidays, sick days and vacation time; commuter benefits, and a wealth of on-going, top-of-the-line professional development opportunities among others.
Please upload a cover letter, résumé and your design portfolio with 3-5 projects as a single pdf. Please describe the context that your projects were completed in and your role.
Hester Street is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce that reflects the populations with whom we partner and serve. Our organization is women-led and our staff is majority people of color. We seek to build an inclusive organization grounded in respect for differences and encourage applications from all qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, marital status, disability or veteran status.
Hester Street is a 501(c)3, nonprofit organization incorporated as Hester Street Collaborative.